I've been craving soups since the temps started dropping. This high fiber soup is perfect for a warm, cozy, delicious lunch or dinner. If you're making the broth this can take 2-3 hours - it was a perfect side activity while Sunday football was on ;) if you buy chicken broth and have shredded chicken this will only take ~30 minutes
Soup Base and Shredded Chicken (~1.5 hrs)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 whole chicken (2 1/2 lbs), rinsed
- 4 medium carrots, cut into pieces
- 3 celery stalks, cut into pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, quartered
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 5 stems parsley
steps (1.5 hours):
In a 10- or 12-quart stockpot, heat oil over high. Add whole chicken, carrots, celery, onion, peppercorns, parsley, and enough cold water to cover ingredients by 1/2 inch (about 10 cups).
Bring to a boil over high. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through, ~40 minutes, skimming fat and foam and flipping chicken once.
Transfer whole chicken to rimmed baking sheet and let cool, about 10 minutes.
Pour liquid through a strainer into a large bowl (you should have 10 cups broth). Discard vegetables and chicken parts.
Shred chicken into bite-size pieces, discarding skin and bones (you should have 4 cups meat).
Chicken Veggie Minestrone Soup
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes
- Chicken soup broth (~8-10 c broth and ~3 c shredded chicken)
- 1 small cauliflower, chopped medium
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 bunch kale (preferably Tuscan; (3 cups)
- 1 medium zucchini, diced medium
- 1 can (14 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Shredder parmesan to top and taste
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
Steps (~30 minutes)
In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and cook until softened, 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add tomatoes with juice and cook until liquid is evaporated, 4 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil. Add carrots and cauliflower and cook 5 minutes. Add kale, zucchini, and chickpeas and cook until zucchini is crisp-tender, 5 minutes. Stir in chicken and cook until warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt, pepper (can add chile pepper, siracha or hot sauce if prefer spicier soups). Sprinkle with Parmesan, if desired.
Nutrition Facts: ~7 Servings
Calories 140, Fat 5 g, Carbs 19 g, Fiber 6 g, Protein 17 g
-adapted from marthastewart.com